Math in China

This blog is part of my project of a study of Math in China. I have been awarded a grant by a wonderful organization that do care about teachers. Fund for Teachers. An exploration of Chinese methodology in mathematics instruction is the title of my project. I will be attending a conference in Shanghai about Math Education, interviewing some teachers and also sitting in on classes. All that in China... so, a great experience.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Contacts.

First contacts....

One of the objectives here was interviewing Math teachers and sit in their classes. When I was writing the project I luckily contacted a Math teacher. Lily (many chinese people has an english name) agreed to be interviewed and to introduce me some other teachers and she said there was no problem for me to attend to her classes. She disappered. I have been emailing her since I knew for sure that I was going to China and one day she stopped writing me.

I do not know where she is. If something happened.

Being that the actual situation, these days I go around trying to contact people that or are teachers or can know anyone that works as teacher.



Today walking near Darshamla Street a touristic street full of shops I met a man that spoke a little english. After few minutes I asked him what is he doing. He works in a hospital repairing electronic devices. His wife is a bus driver. When I asked if he would know any math teacher to be interviewed he answered that a good friend of him works as a teacher and it seems that I will be able to interview him. I have to call Zhong (the man I met) in two days he will let me know.

Comunication is very difficult. I will need a translator for my interviews. Some young people speak a bit of english. People older than 30 normally speak nothing. At the moment my chinese is not more than " Xie xie " (Thank you), " Nihao " (Hello), "Tsai tie" (good bye).



Taking a bus is a good experience. I am not doing it a lot at the moment because I mainly use my bike but as the you cannot comunicate a lot before getting in you really need to be sure is the one you want because once you are inside you will not be able to know if you are in the correct direction unless you have next to you somebody young that speaks english.... the bus will be totally packed and looking outside you will not know where you are because the organization of the streets is not the one we are used.

In two days I will know if I have my first interviews... I am crossing my fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home